The Constituency Office of the Hon. Jim Carr, Member of Parliament for Winnipeg South Centre, is currently seeking a qualified candidate to fill the full-time role of Communications and Outreach Officer.
This position is primarily responsible for the ongoing management of local communications and outreach, including social media, traditional media, and in-person event and logistical support.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Communications and Outreach Officer will proactively lead the communications and outreach activities of the constituency office, as follows:
- Assisting with development and monitoring of a constituency communications and outreach strategy, working closely with the Member’s executive assistant and ministerial communications team
- Working with ministerial communications team to maintain an active, responsive and timely constituency presence on Facebook and other social media platforms.
- Obtaining, editing and organizing photos and video footage of MP and community activities
- Drafting content for community newspaper columns.
- Drafting content for community newsletters, correspondence and other communications materials for constituents.
- Building relationships with local media outlets, and supporting media relations for the office, including drafting statements, news releases, key messages, and monitoring media
- Building and nurturing relationships with local stakeholders and their communities
- Research and identify community events, propose outreach initiatives
- Assisting with event planning
- Providing staffing support to the MP at meetings and events as required, including on evenings and weekends
- Other duties as required in the operation of the constituency office, including some support with office administration.
Qualification required to successfully perform in the job:
- University degree / College Certificate in communications, public relations, political science, government relations, or a related field
- 2-3 years working experience in event management, outreach, communications, or public affairs
- Excellent writing skills and command of English language
- Proficiency with Photoshop, Adobe Creative Cloud, Microsoft Office, Outlook, Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook
- Able to work independently and within a team and manage multiple projects at one time
- Able to independently create and execute a plan and meet strict deadlines
- Must have access to a car
- Ability to secure and retain a ‘Secret’ level security clearance
- Fluency in French would be considered a significant asset
- Highly engaged with daily news and media
- Understanding of basic web editing and design
- Previous Constituency or Parliament Hill experience is considered an asset
- Network of related contacts
- Flexible hours required
- Changing work priorities daily
- Fast-paced, busy environment
- Team player, willing to help others
Interested individuals should submit in one PDF document a CV and cover letter addressed to Martin Lussier by email to email@example.com, with the subject line “Communications and Outreach Officer”.Apply Now!
Only individuals who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
DEADLINE: November 29, 2018